Monday, April 29, 2013

H2P (Humber Park to San Jacinto Peak)

Wow, hard to believe that less than a year ago I dragged my out of shape (but improving) butt up from the tram to the peak and now I get to write about a 16 mile (r/t) hike with some serious elevation gain. What a difference a year makes!

Three of us decided to take on this hike. We got to Humber Park and stepped off just before 8 AM last Saturday. The weather forecasts called for a clear day and pretty warm, with highs in Idyllwild around 70 or so.

We ran into almost no one at the beginning of the hike, and until we got to the peak trail where the hikers from the tram meet up, we really saw very few hikers. The hike up Devil's Slide was uneventful and no more snow is left on that trail.

 
Leaving Saddle Junction on a clear sunny day
The trip up from Saddle Junction was clear and sunny with excellent views down to Tahquitz and Hemet.

Does the orange fleece make me look fat?
We finally hit some patchy snow around the 9,000 foot level, where we branched off from the Pacific Crest Trail and headed out to Wellman's Divide.

Most of the snow was patchy and pretty easy to get around. But even when we had to go up and over, we never really dug down in (post holing in hiking terms).

The trip over to Wellman's Divide was another beautiful section for weather. The snow was gone and had beaten down the shoulder high brush that we encountered last September. At the Wellman's Cienega run off, water was flowing freely and we encountered three mule deer drinking from the stream off the trail.

Our next break stop was Wellman's Divide at 9,700 feet. We had hiked over 4 miles and gained about 3,000 feet of altitude so we were ready for the stop.

Best trail mix in the world, at least at 9,700 feet!
From Wellman's we had just under 2.5 miles to go to get the the summit at 10,850 feet. After a much shorter break than I expected we were off. One of our group was really feeling the altitude by now, even though he had powered up Mt. Baldy last fall and is in great shape. The going was slow with many short breaks for him to catch his breath and let his heart rate fall. We kept close watch and he never had any severe symptoms, so on we pressed.

After those two long (and I do mean long) switchbacks, we finally saw the last trail sign before the summit.

Yes, we had already climbed 7.3 miles!
Yes, the sign was in the snow and we hit a few patches of it, but it was all very manageable. The dry winter up there doesn't bode well for our water levels this summer. Be prepared to stop washing your cars soon.

I have to say that compared to last year, I was doing pretty well with the altitude. The walk up to the rescue hut seemed to go pretty well this year. Last year I was using the technique of counting steps and picking out trees and other landmarks and telling myself, I can make it another 10 steps, or I can make it to that tree. I Guess I am in better shape this year. That feels pretty good.

Finally the rescue hut appeared. Built in 1936 (I think) by the CCA to provide storm shelter, it is the last landmark before the scramble up to the summit.

A quick break to load my hiking poles (not easy to scramble up boulders with them), and we were ready for the scramble. Two volunteer rangers coming down remarked on how they liked my bright orange fleece. So far, every ranger I've encountered while wearing it has said the same thing. If I need rescue I want to be seen! Which always amazes me when REI and others only sell light green, grey, and khaki colored clothing - but that's a topic for another post.

The final scramble really isn't rock climbing and if you pick the right spots, you don't even have to "scramble" in the real sense of the word. The route I picked was a combination, especially since my knees don't bend like they used to.

Seeing the summit sign so close is a great motivator!

Once at the top, the weather was great, the wind was calm and the views were fantastic!

10,850 feet! And still able to stand and breathe.
Of course, some hipsters and tourists had decided to camp out at the summit sign and geo plaque, so we couldn't get our obligatory tourist pictures, but of course, I took my obligatory selfie:

 
Rocking the edelweiss buff!
The trip down was pretty quick and uneventful. I stripped off the fleece at the rescue hut since it was only going to get warmer as we descended. Once we did turn southward again, we could see a rescue helicopter circling Tahquitz Rock (also know as Lily Rock). It turns out a rock climber had fallen and required a full rescue response.

I have to tell you that Devil's Slide going down seems absolutely endless. That final 2.5 miles is all downhill, but just seems to keep on going. Seeing the parking lot was a final happy moment!

Tired but happy!
So, 16 miles of hiking, 4400 feet of elevation gain - was it worth it? Absolutely! it was a great start to the season, and this year I am determined to captured all three saints before the snows blow in again. We might also do this trip again, or go up Deer Springs to the summit.

Two of the three hikers are planning on a cactus to cloud trip in the fall. Nope, I'm not one of them. See you on the trails!

No comments:

Post a Comment