Monday, April 1, 2013

Check your gear!

OK, so I jinxed myself apparently when I wrote about my ritual of getting ready before hikes. As I mentioned in my last trail report, my not securing a lanyard to my GPS case meant that my GPS is now up on the side of Tahquitz Peak, or in someone else's pocket (enjoy it if you have it). The legend of Tahquitz's curse of that mountain lives on.

I almost always forget something. Usually it is my Adventure Pass for parking or something else pretty insignificant, but sometimes even the small stuff can take on new significance at 8000 feet and above. And I haven't even started backpacking or overnight trips. Woe to me if I forgot my Via packets on a trip like that.

I've also learned to check gear pretty soon after a hike or outing. Nothing like a moldy water reservoir to get that point across!

I guess I need to get into checklists.

How do you prepare? Let me know in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment