Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Welcome to the Old Man Hiking blog

Pick up any outdoor or backpacking magazine and you've seen them. Thighs like old growth tree trunks, sculpted calves, and only the best gear.

That's not me.

Last year at about this time, I was fat, had uncontrolled blood pressure, and my big sport was weekly bowling in a local beer league. Not exactly hiking material.

But a couple of the bowlers I knew hiked occasionally and had completed the Mt San Jacinto hike earlier that year. They - somewhat cautiously - agreed to let me tag along on a local hike.

That hike was Iron Mountain, here in San Diego's east county. That morning the wife of one of the hikers was going to come along, to keep me company when I stopped. Yes, I was in such bad shape, no one thought I could make it up a 2.5 mile ascent to a "summit" well under 3,000 feet high.

I made it up Iron Mountain that day and was hooked.

Now, a year later, I've lost 30 pounds, my blood pressure is fine, and I've bagged two of the highest peaks in Southern California.

This is me on the infamous Devil's Backbone in October. I still have a long way to go, but I decided to start this blog for everyone who thinks they can't do it and to highlight some of the amazing trails and back country spaces right here in Southern California.

I hope you enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment