Saturday, November 24, 2012

Cross training

Today was a cross training day. For me that usually means getting out in a kayak.

I started kayaking a few years ago with my son when we took a tour of Big Bear Lake and its many nooks and crannies. We've been hooked ever since.

Today was a windy day out on Mission Bay in San Diego, with my grandson along as well as some friends fairly new to the sport.

The legs appreciated the break after three different walks yesterday, and the core and arms wondered what was happening!

Cross training is always mentioned as an important aspect for any sport. It prevents burn out and widens your own perspective. For me, the water will always be a place to relax, get some exercise, and burn off the stress. Yes, hiking does the same, but differently.

Our shop of choice (full disclosure, my son has worked there for the past four summers) is Aqua Adventures on Mission Bay. They have a great selection of boats - sit on tops and sit ins, as well as stand up paddleboards. And it is a great location for launching and getting out onto the water.

http://www.aqua-adventures.com

No comments:

Post a Comment